Pin It simply southern: Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

When the weather is perfect, nice breeze, 72 degrees, sun shining, all a girl like me can think to do is well, go fishing of course.

JW and I grabbed our fishing poles, tackle box, and stink bait. Went to Wal-Mart to get our fishing license, and headed to the Kansas River with high hopes of catching a ton of fish.

Although JW and I have lived here in Kansas City, Kansas for almost two years, we had yet to go fishing. The reasoning why has escaped me, but we decided that today was the day.  Baiting up the hook, and casting that first cast into the water is a thrilling moment, for those that enjoy fishing.

With each cast, I slowly began to wonder if there were even fish where we were. Cast, after cast, after cast, and no luck. My line gets caught on a rock here, an underwater root there, and finally I decided that we, by no means, had the proper equipment to be fishing in a body of water with a current this strong.

You see, JW and I are use to fishing in a small creek, family pond, or still water lake...not this raging, rushing water that the Kansas River holds. Our poles were tiny, with eight pound line, and our hooks were small enough for the big daddy catfish to eat right off of and never get snagged by.

After the nice man next to us rills in his sixth twenty pound fish, I ask, "what are you doing, and how can we learn to do it?" He looked at me and said in his nice southern voice, "Well for starters these fish like live bait. I'm about to head out and you can have my extra bait. Secondly your weight on your line isn't big enough. You can have a couple of mine, I make my own so I have a ton of them at home. And Thirdly your not in my sweet spot, but since I am leaving, it is all yours." A smile from ear to ear takes form on JW and my face. Thanks are exchanged and we one again situate our now, somewhat better gear, on our poles and begin to cast again.

After about the tenth time of my line getting caught, I sit down and let JW take over. He gets extra excited when he realizes he has a fish. He used every amount of energy he had to reel in that fish.

Needless to say, it just wasn't our day. So we went to Wal-Mart, and Cabela's, and found us some new thicker poles, forty pound line, and better hooks. We just know that next time we will catch enough for dinner. Or at least we hope we do.

Bye y'all

No comments:

Post a Comment